Pastor Jim Monck – What we need vs. What we want
Pastor Trevor Smith
- Genesis 15:1-12;17-18
- The temporary becomes bearable when we know the outcome
- Gen 15:1 – This is the second promise God gives.
- Gen 15:2-3 – Abram questions God’s promise based on current situation (the temporary)
- Gen 15:4-6 – God cuts through the uncertainty of Abrams and specifies the promise and how big (numerous, countless descendants)
- Gen 15:7-12 – God affirms Abram the covenant
- Gen 15:13-16 – God also affirms a trial Abram and his people must go through (400 years)
- Gen 15:17-21 – But reveals that God walks through blood, bears the responsibilities, punishment. This later revealed through Jesus. We acknowledge the act each time we take the Communion, where Jesus died for us, having shed his blood for us.
- God’s will is done, no matter what.
- Philippians 3: Let’s not be enemies of the convenant, set of fulfilling our own needs, self-centered.
- Faith allows us to center on God, to know God’s fulfillment but also to change how we act. It orients us to live in anxiety. Allows us to live in moments, knowing of God’s will.
- Looks at Abram: died knowing that God’s promise would be fulfilled 400 years, well after dying.
- Think of the Communion as the fulfillment of God’s promise, that Jesus bore the punishment for our freedom. The temporary is made bearable.
- Ancient of Days
- Nothing but the Blood
- Lamb of God (with Prayer)
- Offering: Jesus Messiah
- Communion: Remembrance
- Nazarene Compassionate Ministries – Freedom Sunday – awareness of human trafficking still occurring today!
- We need to be aware of this. It is happening in our own backyard! Targets: malls, after school daycare.
- This is organized – recent example of people are planted to target.
- Trafficked are dehumanized. Individuals trapped are treated as commodities, opposite of what God intends us to be.
- Genesis 1:27: God created us in his image! Traffickers seeks to strip individuals of this freedom.
- Take action: God is directing to action to free the oppressed.
- James 2:14-16 – actions have to have meaning!
- 1 John 3:16-18: Tell others. Make a difference.
- Ways to take actions:
- 888-373-7788 (24×7)
- SMS 2333733, text “HELP” or “INFO”
- Website: traffickingresourcecenter.org
- Nazarene Compassionate Ministries: donation for Freedom fund NCM’s missions and ministries to combat anti-slavery.
- Other organization combat anti-slavery.
- You can shop at business that are anti-slayer, fair trade and human dignity rated.
- Freedom in scripture and we are enabled to live freely in Christ: Luke 4: 23-27; John 14:11-12
- Mother Teresa: Do things with LOVE! Great things, little things!
- Amos 5:25
- We are children of God – all of us! That is why we should help where ever we can!
- Call to Worship
- Freedom Sunday Question #1:
- Oh Happy Day
- Freedom Sunday Question #2
- I Am Free
- Freedom Sunday Question #3
- Hosanna (with Prayer)
- Communion: Amazing Grace
- Offering: My Delivery is Coming
Rev. Jim Monck
Scripture: Luke 6:27-36
How to apply living Christ-like:
- Forgiveness. Bitterness do not help anyone or anything. Be clean of bitterness, be free. It can keep you from God making you better.
- Give. We have so much, give freely.
- Love. This is an intentional, determined love. A choice. It’s not natural. (Romans 5). Love with responsibility and accountability.
- We show our Christian maturity by how we treat the people who have done us wrong.
Be in your places and be with God, be shiny in God’s love and glory. Share it with others!
- All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name
- Build Your Kingdom Here
- Everything (with Prayer)
- Communion: Cornerstone
- Offering: Everything