Dr. Rusty Brian
- Gapers Delay: In Chicago, when people look at something that causing delay, traffic snarl.
- Passage: Jesus goes to pray and is transfigured. Why is Moses and Elijah with Jesus. Moses is synonymous with the law; Elijah the prophets. Both are the embodiment of the Old Testament. Jesus represents to connection to the Old Testament.
- Peter and the disciples are terrified upon witnessing this. Peter, not knowing what to do, offers to build a temple for the three.
- God speaks to them, directing all Jesus is the Beloved Son, that all must listen to him.
- As they descend the mountain, Jesus directs the disciples not to speak of the occurrence.
- Jesus commands this so as not people to be distracted by these event, limiting the ministry of share the Good News. Perhaps commands this so the disciples can slow down and take in the experience and understand it. To see Jesus in with different perspective. They could be better prepared to partake in the ministry.
- Moses is the Law; Elijah is the prophets; Jesus, the Messiah, is with them and congruent with the Law and Prophecies.
- Jesus wants his disciples to take in the experience, understand it before sharing with others.
- We need to pause and hear the voice of the Father.
- Let Everything That Has Breath
- Great in Power
- Come and See
- Spirit Song
- Communion: We Will Feast
- Offering: Come and See
Dr. Rusty Brian
- The town came to see Jesus, to get healed
- Jesus changes the setting, goes to the next town and prays
- We should take note of this and do the same when overwhelmed with our personal challenges: change the scene, go somewhere quiet and pray.
- Everyone was seeking Jesus. We need to see Jesus for who He is.
- Is everyone searching for Jesus, today? Probably not as obviously as we think. Less and less people are looking for Jesus, mostly because of how the church is viewed: homophobic, judgmental, political. This is not how the church should be, which dissuades people seeking Jesus. Example: voting. People see Christians voting for candidates whose actions do not line up with Jesus.
- The danger of acting opposite of Jesus is the church can get in the way of those seeking Jesus.
- Here Jesus heals and delivers. Not all were healed.
- Jesus retreated to a quiet place to focus, pray.
- Jesus desires to heal us of the deeper things – the fabric of the universe by bringing God’s goodness into our sickness.
Transforming lives through the love of Christ