Pastor Trevor Smith
- With God valuing marriage, why is the passage included in scripture.
- Here there is distinct difference between what God wants and what happens.
- Three points in this passage:
- God is absent. God is not calling for the actions of Jacob (e.g. – Jacob must work seven years before he is able to marry Rebecca)
- The relationship of marriage here is akin to a business deal, rather than as a Godly covenant. As the church, we operate relationship with Grace.
- Deceit is applied here. Laban uses Jacobs desire against him and coerces Jacob to be with Leah.
- The live out a holy relationship with God, we cannot be deceitful. We must be a people who are honest, transparent to one another.